More than a passenger or a rail fan, rail specialist David Feng has a Trains Thing. Be it his ongoing Eurasian rail+metro+tram documentary, his railway talks or works around the world, his rail views, theories, and advocacy of Best Practices, or his coverage of new lines and stations across Europe and Asia, David is truly immersed in the world of trains. The premier independent railway specialist currently based in Beijing, featured in media globally in many languages across Europe, Asia, Oceania, and the Americas, and trusted and recommended by professionals the world over, David has been on rail, metro, and tram networks in over 20 countries, and travelled over 460,000 kilometres by rail. He also gives back to the rails with his commitments, including improving rail English for China. Learn here how a childhood interest became the bulk of his career…
Through to 01 January 2020, David Feng has been to the following countries and territories by trains…
NATIONAL (or territorial) RAILWAYS (by country, territory, or region)
- Europe: Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Germany, France, Italy, Austria; Belgium, the Netherlands, Luxembourg; Spain; United Kingdom, Ireland; Denmark, Sweden
- Asia: China (Mainland), Hong Kong (SAR), Taiwan
URBAN RAIL/METRO SYSTEMS (by city, including tram networks)
- Europe: Amsterdam, Barcelona, Berlin, Bern, Brussels, Copenhagen, Dublin, Edinburgh, Lausanne, Lille, Lisbon, London, Manchester, Milan, Paris, Sheffield, Vienna, Zürich
- Asia: Beijing, Changchun, Changsha, Chengdu, Chongqing, Dalian, Fuzhou, Guangzhou, Hangzhou, Harbin, Hefei, Hong Kong, Kaohsiung, Kunming, Nanjing, Nanning, Qingdao, Shanghai, Shenyang, Shenzhen, Shijiazhuang, Singapore, Suzhou, Taipei, Tianjin, Wuhan, Wuxi, Xi’an, Zhengzhou
- The Americas: San Francisco
METRO SYSTEMS: ALL STATIONS VISITED
David Feng has visited every single station on the following networks (brackets indicate time completed):
- Europe: London (2016; Tube + DLR)
- Asia: Beijing (2019)
David Feng has been featured in everything rail and metro by national and international media in English, German, French, Italian, and Chinese.
- International media: BBC, CNN, Neue Zürcher Zeitung (Switzerland), La Repubblica (Italy), The Wall Street Journal Asia, BusinessWeek, Ad Age, Nouvelles d’Europe (Mandarin), Ta Kung Pao (Hong Kong SAR), CGTN French, The Sinocism China Newsletter
- National and industry media: People’s Railway Daily (China), Xinhua, China Daily, Beijing Daily, China Media Group (CCTV), Radio Beijing
- Documentaries: Tencent Video (40 years of Chinese reforms); Discovery Channel documentary (footage shot; pending airing)
David Feng has been mentioned or featured on the official Web presences or blogs/social media accounts of Swiss Federal Railways and China Railways.
He has in addition produced independent railway-related content which were aired on Chinese national TV, English-language radio, and official sites in China.
David has also done many talks about trains to audiences around the world.
- Talks internationally: London Transport Museum, British Academy, London Book Fair, Beyond Zero Emissions (Australia), TEDx (Fengdong Square, China)
- Talks in China: Your Journey, Your Story onboard rail talk, Ganzhou (S China) HSR development keynote
- To rail crew: Rail PR talk in China, Rail English presentations in China
Trains were mentioned in addition to other topics discussed at:
- Talks given to officials in Northern and Eastern China (on regional development and administration)
- Talks given to academics in Southeastern China (on expatriates settling in China and international links)
David remains committed to the rail world across Eurasia and beyond.
- Next Station: Eurasia, a travelling documentary of rail, metro, and tram stations across Europe and Asia
- Next Station: China, a previous documentary of rail stations across China, now merged into the Eurasian project
- Rail English for China: Improving the quality of English across the Chinese railway network
- Swiss rail: Articles and other engagements about the railways of Switzerland
He’s additionally been published directly about rails with China Railway, International Railway Journal, and in a chapter with Routledge.